Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thing 5 - More fun (?) with flickr

M coloured card disc letter e G

I really do not understand the point of all of these mash-ups, besides as a way to waste time. I mean, I guess it's interesting that you can do these things on the web, but really, I don't see how they would benefit libraries all that much. If, for example, you used Spell with Flickr to create posters for events, the posters would look more like ransom notes than anything else. And if that's the look you're going for, then great, but if not, then it seems like a bit of a waste. And I feel like I did waste a lot of time on this Thing. Sure, Retrievr is fun (drawing on the computer and seeing the images that "match" what you drew), but as for the practical value of it, I guess I'm just not seeing it. And, contrary to what the 23 Things instructions said, there were NOT easy-to-follow instructions on how to upload any of these creations to my blog, which just added another level of frustration to this Thing. I see the benefit of Flickr itself and how that could be useful in a library setting, but as for all the mash-ups? Seems like a waste of time.

No comments: