Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing 13: online productivity tools

These sites did seem more helpful and useful than some we've had to look at in the past; however, there are still so many for so many different things that it takes time to figure it all out. In the past, I had a My Yahoo! page, so I decided to re-create one for my new email account. I really like how it turned out, and I really think it will be useful for me because I could put so much content on it, but I also know if in a few weeks I realize I'm not using some of the modules, I can just delete them off of my page. Another feature My Yahoo has is the ability to link to Facebook. Facebook is something I'm fairly new at but mildly obsessed with, so to have it right with the My Yahoo page is time saving for me.
As far as calendars go, at work we use Google calendar to schedule the meeting rooms. I've worked with it a little bit, but I mostly use it to see if a meeting room is open on a particular date. We used to have a binder that this information was kept in, so having access to it online makes it much easier to communicate with people about the availability of meeting rooms. As for my own calendar, I actually used Yahoo for that as well; since that's my main email, it just made more sense to me to use the Yahoo tools for these other things as well. It's very helpful to have all of these productivity tools in one place, and because of that, I actually feel like they are being a help rather than a hindrance.
Yahoo also has To-Do lists, so while I looked at a couple of the other ones, again I decided to stick with Yahoo. One way I could see a shared list being useful is when we are doing a large cleaning or something, and everyone is supposed to keep busy with that. Rather than having a piece of paper floating around, an online list that people could check when they had time and cross off when they were finished seems as though it would be much more efficient.

No comments: