Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

I have been using LibraryThing for more than six months now, and still have yet to discover half of the options on the site. I really liked the idea of cataloging my books in one place and being able to see what they look like (having the option of changing the covers to match your exact cover is awesome). I've always been a bibliophile and just love books themselves, so this site seems made just for me. It's pretty easy to find your books on there, especially if you have the ISBN number, and it's fun to watch your library grow! I have yet to join any groups or discussions, but hope to be able to spend more time on it as it seems I will be spending a lot more time on the computer now in general! One thing I didn't know that I just found out is that some authors have their own accounts and libraries, and it was really cool to see what kind of books some of my favorite authors have - also gives a good idea for recommendations (as if I'll ever run out of things to read...) - the reviews would help with that too.
I've had a "random books from my library" link on my blog for some time now, just because it was one of the tools I was using before 23 Things started, it just made sense to add it to my blog. I like how it changes all the time, and it's fun to see the different combinations of books show up on my blog.
As far as how libraries could use it; I'm not really sure how that would work. The idea of having 'recently added books' on our library web site could work pretty well, but as far as cataloging every book, I don't even know if that would be possible. I do love the visuals, though, far better than just searching an online catalog.

No comments: