Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thing 9 - Online collaboration tools

I explored both Zoho Writer and Google Docs, but I wasn't really sure how editing the Declaration of Independence would work. And, to be honest, it really didn't. I wanted to try Google Docs, so i followed the directions to request permission to edit the document. When I got the email from Google Docs telling me my request had been approved and to follow a link to edit the document, I clicked on it and then was required to sign in. So I signed in to my Google account, but kept getting the message that my username/password was incorrect. I tried to create a new account, and that didn't work either. So, I ended up not actually having the chance to edit the Declaration. I toured around Zoho Writer but didn't edit that document either. I'm pretty sure I get the basic idea of the programs. One thing I could see this being useful for is for policy writing and that sort of thing. However, I'm not sure how secure these are. The scary side of all of these Web 2.0 tools is the potential for people to hack into it or access your private information. It makes me a little wary of some of these tools, but in the end I think the benefit outweighs the potential cost. But, I wish they would have been a little bit more user-friendly; I'm definitely advancing outside of my comfort zone with some of these Things...

No comments: