Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing 18 - YouTube

I really like YouTube, and have spent several hours at a time there before. It's so easy to get lost in all of the interesting videos. And the fact that they list related videos makes it easy to meander around the site, which is what I constantly find myself doing. It took me a while to choose what video I wanted to post, but then figured I would post the Sweeney Todd trailer because a) I love movies and b) I love Johnny Depp and c) the whole concept of the movie is pretty awesome. Plus a lot of the other things I would have posted, like comedians or something, seemed somehow inappropriate for a work-related blog. So those are my reasons for choosing the video I chose. I could see how YouTube videos could be good PR for a library and also get teens more interested. I liked the WSU library orientation that they had for their new students. It was really quick but also really informative. YouTube seems like it would have a lot of different options for libraries; they could post videos to their own website, could have their own videos posted on YouTube, and so there are a lot of possibilities. One problem I think we would have is that I believe YouTube is blocked on our filter computers, so I'm not sure how well it would work for our library specifically, unless there's a way to unblock that particular site.

No comments: