Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thing 19: Podcasting

So I've known the general definition of podcasting for awhile now, but have not been overly familiar with podcasts themselves, either creating or listening to them. And I'm still not familiar with creating them; to be honest, I don't like how I sound to myself, and so I'm not comfortable putting out a podcast that anyone could listen to. However, it was interesting searching the directory; I used podcast.net, and I liked that because it was divided into categories. I didn't have a specific podcast I was looking for, so this was a great way for me to find one. I was looking for one that was related to fantasy football, because I'm really into that during the football season and so I thought a podcast of it would give me an edge next year. I'm not sure I like the one that I selected, but I did notice that there are a lot more to experiment with, so that was nice. I also chose a podcast of a morning radio show I used to listen to all the time, but which now I don't get since the radio station isn't in Fargo. I was able to subscribe to that podcast directly from the radio station's web site, so that was another route to take.
I did add both of these podcasts to my Bloglines account, and was excited to see that they have actually been updating. Unfortunately, I think that iTunes needs to be on the computer to listen to them from that account (at least the morning radio show), so I haven't been able to listen to them yet. But, I'm excited to be able to upload the morning show to my iPod and listen to it at the gym or whenever.
Not quite sure how this would work in a library. Unless you did something like podcasts of special programs the library hosts or storytime or something like that. A teen program could also involve making a podcast, but again I'm not exactly sure about the best practices and all that.

No comments: