Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing 21: Other social networking sites

So it was interesting to know that there are so many more social networking sites out there; I had no idea at all that there were so many. It's so overwhelming, and I don't even know how to begin choosing which ones are "right" for me. I thought Gather was interesting; one of the things I liked about was that it had different links for different interests, like books, movies, music, etc. And some of the ongoing discussions were pretty funny, but some also seemed pretty pointless. I am intrigued to join the Minnesota Readers Group, but I haven't yet, because I'm not sure I want to join anymore sites. Again, a lot of these sites seem like good places to go and waste time. I'm not sure how many of them I would actually keep up with. I did hear some good things about last.fm, so I may check that out, although i haven't yet. I hope that the 23 Things on a Stick blog stays up for awhile, so that I will be able to expand my knowledge even more when I'm not on a time constraint.
To me, Ning seemed similar to the sites we've already explored, although I did notice that it was much more customized and specific. I did join the 23 Things on a Stick group and left a comment for someone, and I also added a badge to my blog, so I hope that it works when I post. I was a little upset that we had to join yet another site, when i already feel like I have joined or signed up for so many things I will never use, but I did it anyway since it was part of the way to complete the Thing. I cannot see myself on this much in the future, though.
I have used WebJunction before, for finding information for computer classes and such, but I'm not exactly clear on how it's a social networking site? It seemed like the most different site from all the other ones I have looked at.
Also, when I tried to read the Publisher's Weekly article about MySpace and Gather, I wasn't able to get it to come up, which was a little frustrating since I was really interested in it. Oh well.

Visit 23 Things on a Stick

No comments: